Calendar

Friday, February 20, 2009

Home Made Laundry Soap

So Alese my BFF asked me not too long ago if I wanted to make homemade laundry soap. My response, "Why?".  Why seems to be everyone's response as well. 

Why? Well it is very very cheap to make. I think we figured about 70 cents a load. 

Alese found a website with the recipe. We went to Albertson's and found the 20 Mule Team Borax ($4) and the Fels-Naptha ($1.09). Kents had the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda ($4). Apparently there is a difference between washing and baking soda. The first 6 gallons of soap cost $9. The next 6 will cost us $1.09 for the Fels-Naptha. Baking time is 20 minutes and requires only a measuring cup, medium sauce pan, spoon, & 5 gallon bucket. When washing your clothes you use only a 1/2 cup of the soap. 

I love it. 

It doesnt really have a smell, it smells like soap. We store it in 1 gallon ice cream buckets. You can find the recipe at this website: www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Happy Washing :)

2 comments:

Ben and Amanda said...

Wow you never cease to amaze me. Do you know if this will keep the dark clothes like black and navy blue from fading?

Daniele said...

Oh my goodness, that's a lot of work! I would be scared to make my own soap, I don't know about laundry soap, but I know that regular soap could come out more acidic or basic than it should be.


..I saw that on fight club.